Few days back, I had posted a summer vathal recipe. This is in continuance with that, with the change being the ingredient used. Pavakkai is another healthy vegetable but kids tend to dislike it. Pavakkai Vathal makes it a tasty side dish and people will surely like it.
Recipe Cuisine : South India | Recipe Category: Summer Special
Preparation Time: 20 mins | Drying Time : 2-3 days
1. Wash and cut the head and tail of the bitter gourd.
2. Then cut them into thin circles.
3. Remove the big seeds from the slices. Put the slices in a bowl.
4. Now sprinkle the salt and turmeric powder over the de-skinned slices.
5. Mix them gently or toss them gently and close the lid of the pan. keep it aside for 15-30 mins.
6. After 30 mins, you can get water from the bitter gourd pieces. Now discard the water or strain the bitter using the strainer.
7. Now spread the bitter gourd over clean cloth under sun light. Keep it under sun light for 2-3 days or the bitter gourd slices become crisp.
8. Store it in an air tight container for later use.
9. Heat the oil in a pan, add sun dried bitter gourd/pavakkai vahtal and fry till they become crispy.
10. Remove from the oil and spread over the tissue paper to remove excess oil.
Yummy and healthy bitter gourd vathal is ready to serve with curd rice.
1. You can add red chilli powder with turmeric powder.
2. You can make kuzhambu also with this vathal.