Ragi / Finger Millet / Red Millet
Ragi Dosa Batter:
1. Wash the Ragi thoroughly and soak for 8 hrs.
2. Wash the rice and urad dal, soak them together for 3 hrs.
3. Grind the Ragi into a fine thick paste.
4. Grind the rice and urad dal mixture till it is smooth (90% is enough).
5. Mix both pastes together with salt.
6. Add a little water if necessary.
7. Cover the batter and keep it aside for 8 hrs for fermentation. After fermentation batter is ready for Idly and Dosa.
1. After fermentation, heat the tawa and pour one ladle full of Ragi Dosa batter to a thin circular shape.
2. Pour few drops of oil along the sides of the dosa. Turn over once it reaches golden colour.
3. Remove the dosa, when it is golden on both sides.
1. Grease the idly plates with oil and pour a laddle full of Ragi Idly batter and steam cook for 10 mins.
2. Remove from the flame and allow it to cool down or apply water to the rear side of the plates.
3. Use spoon to scoop out the idly from the plate.
4. If you are using the idly pot, drape the vessel with damp cloth and pour batter into the cups. Sprinkle water on the cloth and then remove the idly.
Serve with spicy chutney.